Monday, October 13, 2008

He's still got it....

I have 2 cousins, Becca and Dave that are in different choirs at their high school. Trying to be supportive, I thought I should go. Leaving Jen home with homework and the flu, I journeyed towards the old auditorium. Because I was late, all the main doors to the show were locked. Finally I found a side door not fully closed and ignoring the usher's protests, I stealthily sneaked in. Not wanting to sit next to any strangers, I sat in a row that was completely empty. As my eyes adjusted to the light, sure enough I saw that the few rows behind me were full of tuxes and dresses – a high school choir. It didn’t take long before the all girls choir that was on stage finished their act and the choir sitting behind me left for the stage.

That’s when it started.

Unfortunately, the girls choir found their way to the empty row beside me, and I found myself shoulder to shoulder with a gaggle of high school girls. My life was very awkward at this point. Me, a lone man in a sea of pubescent purple poof. But it got worse from there, oh did it get worse.

APPARENTLY I was just sitting in the choir section and EVERYONE around me was in one choir or another. For the final few numbers everyone around me stood up and started singing! It was glorious! Then when they had to walk up to the stage, they ALL had to stumble past me while singing. I sat there awkwardly apologizing as each girl tried to step over me in their unfortunate dresses “Sorry, excuse me, excuse me, sorry, you sound great.” I soon found myself the only doofus in the ENTIRE section and everyone in the WHOLE auditorium was looking at me and laughing. Imagine an entire third of the auditorium empty and me, all alone.

After the concert, everyone that sang in the choirs gave me the stink-eye. I finally found my cousin Dave and told him the whole story. He asked, “That was you?!”

I just wanted to be a good cousin .


-Jonathan

5 comments:

Ryan and Crystal said...

So funny!! I am laughing so hard. I can just imagine you sitting there surrounded with the choir. What a funny story. I didn't know you had a blog. I'm glad I found it. Tell Jen hi. Hope things are going great for you and Jen.

Stefanie said...

Who the heck is your cousin Dave???

Just Josie said...

FUNNY! I trusted you and came to your blog I think you should have just pretended to sing and go on stage! Ok so you probably would have been in a lot of trouble but that would have been hilarious!

Kayla Lynn Simmons said...

jonathan you are always making me laugh...thats for sure

Tyler said...

This is so incredibly funny because it something I could very easily see myself doing.